Sunday, June 30, 2013

LET THE BEET DROP.

So here's the low down. I get cravings... A LOT. And today, a milkshake was exactly what my tastebuds were crying out for. Speedway, my go-to gas station, just brought in a new milkshake machine that really does make superb shakes, & it's only a mile down the road.


Then I got the bright idea, why not make a creation of a smoothie that has all the vegetables I would never eat alone. It's not that I don't like vegetables, they're just not my ideal snack. (I oughta bitch slap my teenage self for never giving them a chance).

So I set off to the grocery store to pick out some "yummy" vegetables. I decided on vegetables instead of fruit mainly because I don't like citrus fruits & it's hard to make a fruit smoothie without those! So here's what you'd need...

2 pieces of celery
2 large carrots
2 granny smith apples
1 lemon
2 small beets

I know what you're thinking... Beets? Really?

But seriously there are LOTS of benefits to eating beets... So here's a few!

1. They have no trans fats or saturated fats.
2. They are rich in carbohydrates and energize your body quickly!
3. They are a great source of minerals: magnesium, sodium, potassium, betaine (for cardiovascular health), & they're super high in Vitamin C.
4.  Prevents or lowers high blood pressure.
5. Improves blood circulation
6. Combats skin infections
7. Speeds up your metabolism!
8. Prevents several kinds of cancer, primarily colon cancer

Now that I've lectured you on WHY you should eat beets, get to it! This smoothie is a great way to get quite a few servings of vegetables in one drink. So don't knock it till you try it!

WARNING:
- Beets will turn your urine red. So don't freak out.
- Some people are actually allergic to beets (not many)... Rash, hives, fever, chills, and I actually read its caused temporary paralyzation of vocal cords. WTF.
- If you're taking blood thinners, have kidney stones, or have a gal bladder disorder... Hit your doctor up, beets might not be on your menu.
- Cutting beets make it look like you committed murder in your kitchen.

That's all.
Start off your Monday right with a Drop the Beet smoothie (:
Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Woah, I'm so proud!!! I make beet juice with my juicer too!! Yay, go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beets? Really, never gave them a chance! Your aree really breaking out of your comfort zone. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete