Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Why Women Should Lift Heavy Weights

Howdy,

 I've got a bajillion comments/messages about the lifting photo from Monday. Thanks for all the encouraging words, but here's a common concern in questions I get from women... Why should girls lift that much??? (So if you've asked me, & I have yet to respond, this is why!)

That night I got in from CrossFit, all proud of the super awesome picture Sean took of my split jerk... My dad got all excited & my mom got all quiet. (Especially after telling her I almost dropped it on my head). Minutes of conversation went by before she softly asked... Elizabeth, why is it so important to lift that much?

It's questions like these that get me as nervous as a cow in a slaughterhouse. I don't know the answer? Because it's fun? Because it makes you feel like a badass? Because it makes me stronger? Hmmm... There must be some logical reason  to exhaust yourself by lifting insane amounts of weight? So I did some research of the benefits & asked my trainers their opinion. So here's the gist y'all:

1. Toned arms are freaking sexy- Most women are afraid to bulk up. But this won't happen! Not unless you're living off whey protein and working out hours on end a day. Bulky weight-lifters usually have "assistance" of sorts.



2. Heavy weights are crucial for weight loss - For each pound of muscle you build, you burn 30-50 more calories a day. Adding weight lifting to your routine will increase "after burn." Who doesn't want to burn more calories?

3. Your heart will love you if you lift heavy - Cardio isn't the only important thing to keep your heart happy. A survey done by the American Heart Association said that adding weight training to your workout, could reduce blood pressure, improve cardiovascular function, and reduce diabetes risk.

4. It's important in order to prevent injury - Stronger muscles mean stronger connective tissue & more stable joints. This will prevent injury when running, etc.

5. It's like a happy drug - Exercise serves better than anti-depressants.

6. We don't isolate muscle groups so you won't get "too big" anywhere.

7. Lifting weights increases your sex drive. Let's leave it at that.

On top of all that, who doesn't want to get stronger? Who doesn't want to feel like a badass?

I personally can say I feel much better since I started CrossFit. I've built a lot of muscle & STILL lost 11 pounds in the last month.

Emotionally CrossFit has helped me a lot as well. Something about lifting weights is empowering. Through the struggles and things that have happened to me in my life, it makes me feel like a stronger woman, emotionally & physically.

I am on anti-depressants and ever since I started CrossFit I feel a million times better about my life and where I'm at. There is no doubt that it has helped me emotionally just as much as it has on this weight loss journey.

So if you're still wondering if it's terrible for women to get into weightlifting of sorts, do some research. There's no reason to not have an informed opinion!

2 comments: