Friday, June 7, 2013

Jumping Ship


I’m going to let y’all in on a little secret… Tonight, I quit CrossFit. I was avoiding writing today because after a discouraging day like Wednesday, I wanted to be able to report better news… The reason my quitting is a secret, is because it only happened in my head for about an hour following class. That was up until I got a call from Doc.

Let me tell you, if anyone can get me motivated or calmed down about something, it’s that guy. I don’t know if it’s that he just gets my thought process or if he’s just that awesome but either way it worked.

I was pretty upset after my workout tonight. I had what I thought was a terrible session. I am exhausted. My muscles are exhausted. Everything hurts & I was pretty sure I was going to pass out between each round. My wrists kept giving out on me & let me tell you something else… In highschool I loved having small dainty hands, but now that I’m trying to deadlift a bajillion pounds, they are quite frustrating! I can’t seem to get them to stay wrapped around the bar. I get that I’m not going to be awesome at everything… but still! I only could deadlift like 205lbs. Disappointing...

At some point during the workout Sean asked me if I’d rather be running, I didn’t say this… But at that point, I would have totally rather been running! My muscles just weren’t having it today.

So following the workout I was totally down on myself. I was completely ready to give up and at that point, I had decided that CrossFit wasn’t the way I was going to get in shape. I worried (and still worry) that it’s too hard on my body. Carrying so much weight, my joints are already not in the best of condition. This was all going through my mind as I was driving to class (college not workout). I stopped and got dinner at McDonalds and a six-pack from the party store conveniently across the street from CrossFit Glory. I was pretty much done.

While I was enjoying a cheeseburger, I got a call from Doc. Perfect timing, eh? He basically said, one bad workout isn’t a reason to get down on myself. We’re all going to have them. Of course I knew this, but seriously? I could hardly even do my scaled workout! But he also pointed out that I’m really not used to training like this, my body is probably responding to this new crazy stuff I’m doing. He assured me that I am doing well and at the time, that’s really all I needed. A friend that would say hey, you’re crazy for even considering letting this stop you. Now all I need is my body to get on board!

The one thing I’ve come to love about CrossFit though, is I can definitely treat it like a sport. I can combine the intensity I got from lacrosse and the dedication & determination that I have in tennis to really put my heart into something again. So even if I have to slow down a bit, I really think it’s something I can one day be rather good at.

So yeah, I’m sure McDonalds & the liquor store appreciated my business today but all it did for me was remind me of the crutches I used to have in my life. This is a time for rehabilitation, not to relapse into old habits.

So I tossed the burger to some sea gulls, or street gulls, did some retail therapy. (Maybe $500 too much of it).  Bought a $12 jump rope & got back on board… I guess I never really jumped ship, just went for a little swim…

No comments:

Post a Comment