Thursday, July 4, 2013

Coming Together

If you're reading this today, go out & celebrate America's birthday!

I, on the other hand, decided to stay in, mainly because my room is nowhere near clean, I have the heat rash from hell, & I figured I'd save my liver & diet from all the alcoholic calories associated with the 4th of July.

CrossFit was intense to say the least. I almost didn't go because when the website says, "It's a surprise, you'll love it," you know that's a straight up lie.

But I knew I'd regret not showing up & doc gave me a ride so I really had no excuse not to go. So I showed up, more nervous than a prize turkey in November.

Me post-workout,
surprised I'm still smiling!

I was so siked to wear my American flag head band though, courtesy of FitHappy. Also, my smart self, remembered to where long socks because I have the worst heel blisters of my life! Not pleasant...


So we got there & everyone was complaining, I would be too after finding out the WOD consisted of running a 10K (6.2 miles). Sean had told me that's what it was but I seriously thought it was a joke. Knowing I wouldn't have to run it (because I'm having knee troubles...), I was worried about what my alternate workout would be.

Since everyone was bitching about running, Sean jokingly gave us an alternate workout which, in honor of America's birthday, was:

237 burpees
237 pull-ups
237 air squats

Uhmmm, are you crazy? To my surprise, over half the group chose to stay in & do the 237 workout.
My hands thank me for
stopping when I did.

Instead of running, I rowed & rowed & rowed... 9037 meters which is 5.6 miles. I'm sort of mad that I only did that many because they told me that 1500meters was in a mile but it's really 1600, so I fell short of a 10K which was my goal.

I had done very little rowing before today and it was definitely a challenge but I really enjoyed it because for the first time I had absolutely no reason to quit. I felt fit like a normal person because I had no physical limitations. If anything was making me want to stop, it was mental. There was no way in hell I was giving up until I got to that 9000m mark.

Kind of dark, I did my best to lighten it up but this is the amazing group of people I work out with! (some of them)

 You have no idea the support & encouragement I get from the people in the picture above. Being cheered on by Amy the whole time & Tony pushing me at the end made more of a difference than they'll ever know! Once I got to 8000m my legs were shot & that last stretch was ridiculously hard! My favorite part of the workout today though, was not in my own accomplishments. It was watching the people that did the 237 workout come together and encourage each other. When someone looked like they were struggling, there was always someone there cheering them on and pushing them to make it through. This is nothing new though, that's how it is at every workout at CrossFit Glory, but watching it happen while I was rowing, really gave me the chance to appreciate it. I could not ask for a better group of people to help me along on this journey. For those of you who missed the update, 5 pounds lost this week which gets me to a grand total of 16! I couldn't have done it without you guys.

You can always keep up with my weight-loss by clicking the Progress tab at the top of my page.

Happy 4th of July y'all! Maybe I will go celebrate after all, see ya under the fireworks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment