Friday, July 5, 2013

How To Workout From Home + MY DREAM WOD.

You know you've had a bad day when you're so pissed off that you are drinking your hangover remedy  soup & you're not even hung over. 

Todays workout was good, great actually. (Crazy enough, I actually enjoyed doing burpees). I thought I did pretty well & then afterwards I met this guy that's a beast at CrossFit, so that was pretty cool. After I got home though, my day took a turn for the worst.

I tried to take a nap, but it was continuously interrupted by 20+ text messages. I tried going shopping in Birch Run but couldn't find ANYTHING I wanted. Not to mention the weekend traffic was outrageous. 

So I settled on egg drop soup and a triple-feature of low key horse movies. Yeah, it's that kind of Saturday night. 

Well, to feed my CrossFit obsession I decided to think about what my dream workout would be.. It would definitely involve thrusters. But here's what I came up with. (All my favorite things or things I need to work on). 

3 rounds of
200m run
21 Thrusters
12 Wall balls
7 V-Ups (I guess that'd be toes to bar for you fit people ;)

Then I realized I wasn't even sure I knew what it took to design your own workout, & instead of sitting here thinking about it, I should actually be doing a workout. So I did some research, & here in lies, How to do workouts from home. 

The first thing I did is took a look around my house at what equipment I had that could work for exercises. Keep in mind, you can always do things that make use of your body weight. (Push-ups, plank, squats, sit-ups).

Next look around for items you have. I have a kettle-bell which I can use for a variety of different things. I know many people have a set of dumbbells lying around which can be used for walking lunges, push press, etc.

Don't be afraid to think outside of the box & use things that aren't necessarily gym equipment. I use the step in front of my fire place for box jumps. 

Next, make a list of all the exercises you could do. Here's my list:
Kettle-bell swings, plank, burpees, sit-ups, v-ups, box jumps, jumping pull-ups, OH walking lunges, running (yeah, right.), & the list goes on...
Don't forget being creative: you can always go outside.

Good training should be built around functional movements, that's what we do at CrossFit. So avoid things like crunches & calf raises, & stick to things that have high demand on your whole body. 

Then at random, put all the exercises you came up with in a hat & draw the amount of exercises you plan on doing. The exercises I got are:

Running
Jumping pull-ups
Burpees
Walking lunges (with full gallons of water in each hand)

In order to figure how many reps or rounds you're doing, I'd check out the benchmark workouts. Here's a couple examples:

“Fran”
Pick two high-power exercises and perform 21 reps of each, 15 reps of each, and 9 reps of each as fast as you possibly can.  Record total time.
Example: 21-15-9 dumbbell thrusters and chair dips

“Helen”

Do 2-3 exercises for 10-25 reps each and separate each round with a 400 meter run.  Record total time.
Example: 3 rounds for time of 21 jumping air squats, 12 handstand push ups, 400 meter run.
 “Karen”
Perform 150-200 reps of the same exercise as fast as you can.
Example: 150 burpees for Time
Tabata Intervals
Pick an exercise and do 4-8 straight rounds of 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest.  Do this for 4-5 exercises with no additional rest in between.  Record total reps.
So here is the workout I did tonight:
Run 200m
21 jumping pull-ups
21 burpees
21 walking lunges
Run 200m
15 of each of the above
Run 200m
9 of each of the above

You may say I'm overdoing it.. I reckon I have drank the "CrossFit Kool-Aid," but results are what I care about & as doc would say, "work is the only shortcut to results."
Sources: http://livingsuperhuman.tumblr.com/post/19897627166/how-to-design-your-own-crossfit-or-high-intensity

No comments:

Post a Comment