Monday, July 8, 2013

Next Level.

Today has been an amazing day. I toured Saginaw Valley State University & am excited about my future there whether it be this fall, winter, or next year. I took a break from work & got ready for CrossFit, the usual. Today was a little different though, I looked online to see the WOD last night & it was insane. I seriously texted Doc right when I read it...  "You gotta be f**cking kidding me." The WOD read as follows:

45:00 AMRAP
5 Deadlift
5 Squat Clean
5 Front Squat
5 Push Jerk
5 Back Squat

To say the least, I was more nervous than a potato chip on Super Bowl Sunday. (ok, that one was kind of lame) But I showed up, like I always do, to the 6PM class that Mary was coaching. Before I go any further, let me mention that she plays the best music, by far. Unfortunately I haven't shaken the mid-workout tears but her music definitely helped me through. When times get tough, I cry, whether I mean to or not. They just start streaming down my face. It's not that I'm in pain or I want to give up, sometimes I just feel like I'm not going to make it, like losing 150 pounds is just too much.



In my more recent CrossFit days, I feel like I've lost the fire that I had in the first month. Like possibly I'm not pushing myself to the limits that I did before. I have no doubt that I'm still working hard, but am I working hard enough? Am I taking it to that next level that my life needs? Unfortunately my knees have somewhat gave out on me lately, I'm having to modify, scale, and look for alternatives that will give me an equal amount of cardio. First of all, I've started to do more rowing. It's an absolutely great workout, but it's kind of boring. I'll definitely start bringing my Ipod.

Second.... SWIMMING.  Swimming is a great workout for overweight people. It's easy on your joints and it's a full body workout. I have always disliked swimming though. Ever since I had a bad fall off an tube in 5th grade where I seriously thought I was going to drown, I have had serious opposition to the water. But they keep telling me it's good for me. Yesterday, Doc surprised me with a swimming WOD. I did the doggy paddle, or in my case, more like the drowning cat paddle. But I managed, with no complaints. (Almost no complaints). I mean seriously, I'm probably not going to die in a 5 foot deep pool, but I feel like I'm in Finding Nemo repeatedly reminding myself, "Just Keep Swimming."

Tomorrow, I'm having a swimming lesson with Sean. The idea of this is pretty intimidating since he's a national champion swimmer, but I guess that just means I'm in good hands. As you can see, I'm not 100% thrilled about this swimming thing, but if that's the "next level" my workout needs, I'm all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment