Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Can I Get Fries With That?

Well, it happened, I gave into my McDonalds temptation. McDonalds was on my way home from class & I said those words that seemed so familiar.

"A double cheeseburger, cheese & ketchup only, with a medium fry, & a large coke."

Immediately I knew what a stupid, impulsive, decision I had made. But once I had it, there was no turning back. I'm not going to lie, it tasted so dang good BUT I felt guilty, I felt gross, & my stomach definitely didn't handle it well.

I wish I had something inspirational to say, but I'm afraid that's not always the case.

As disappointed as I am in myself, I have to face reality & write the unforgivable in my food journal:

Burger (440 calories)
Fries (380 calories)
Coke (280 calories)

If you can do the math (please don't) that's 1100... Which means today I've had 1170 total so far. Looks like I can't eat dinner. Just kidding... I don't believe starvation is the answer but I'll definitely be looking for something light.

So here's a question I've gotten a lot... "What to do when you eat off plan." Pretty broad, eh? But I began looking for answers...

1. RELAX. If you're generally committed to your diet, you'll probably have a mini panic attack. I know personally I felt like a dog that had chewed up a shoe, I just wanted to run and hide under the table.

2. Don't beat yourself up... I'm still learning this one.

3. Think about the rest of your day & how you can compensate for your mistake.

4. Skip the scale... Don't run weigh yourself because if you don't like what you see, it's just going to tare you down more.  If you do weigh yourself immediately, it could be a little higher. This isn't excess body fat, it could be water retention brought on by extra salt from your meal.

5. Don't skip out on exercise that day!!! That would just be a double whammy.

6. Track what you eat.. I've been tracking my meals & it helps me so much! That way you can look back & see what worked.

So that would be my (& some expert sources) recommendations for when you have a diet 911.

It's all a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment