Saturday, February 28, 2015

You're A Runner!

When I arrived at Live In Fitness, I was overwhelmed by all of the folks who worked hard in every class. They quickly became my role models.  I vowed to work as hard as they did, every day that I was here. I could do lots things, after all, I was a crossfitt-er and powerlifter.  However, the one thing that they could do that I couldn't do, is run. Coach AJ would walk around during classes and say “You’re a runner!” when he saw someone walking that should be running. He also encouraged those that were new to running!  I was so envious and couldn’t wait for the day that I could run! 

I have done so many things that I never expected I would do. I’ve ridden a bike; I’ve played basketball; and I’ve even spent time working out on the beach, which believe me, is something I never thought I’d enjoy! (Too much sand in too many places!) However, the thing that surprised me the most and is by far my biggest accomplishment here, is the joy I’ve found in running. I can’t do it for very long or go very fast, but I absolutely love it.


I try to always do the 5K challenges, the beach runs, and I never ever miss going to Jarvis Creek. Jarvis Creek is a gorgeous park here on the island, with a .85 loop, and if you’re lucky, you’ll see an alligator or two! Anyway, that first week I went out to the park and ran the loop in 13:56. I know, I know, that’s about as slow as a turtle stampeding through peanut butter, but I did it. Mostly walking, but I finished. This is the week I decided to make running a priority. I remember when I could run a mile in under 10 minutes, and I am determined to do that again.
Week three I decided to go with a plan. I would run for 30 seconds and then walk for a minute, just long enough to catch my breath. That week, I did it in 11:57, big improvement!
Each week I cut down my walking time and increased my running time. This week, week 7, I would run a minute and a half and walk 30 seconds. I was so excited with my improvement. I finished the lap in 10:31 and didn’t feel like I was going to die at the end!!
Now each day, I look forward to classes that have running in them. I can put my headphones in; hold my head high, and just run. I run when I want to find clarity or run when I need a break from the crowd. Sometimes, all it takes is five minutes of just feeling free.


Do you remember the moment in Forrest Gump where he is running and his leg braces just start to fall off into a million pieces? That’s exactly how I felt a couple weeks ago while I was running.  The “braces” that have been holding me back have started to fall off -  my stride has gotten longer, my legs move faster, and my breathing has settled. The words now running through my head are, “You CAN do this. You’re a runner.”


You can do this too! In fact, you can do anything you put your mind to.
All it takes is all you've got!
- E

No comments:

Post a Comment