Wednesday, February 11, 2015

To Those Who Quit

One of the hardest things I’ve been faced with here at Live In Fitness is watching people leave. We are a close-knit community and after spending day in and day out with someone for two or more weeks, it’s tough to see them go.

What’s even harder is waking up one day and someone being gone. This has happened to me twice so far and unfortunately it’ll probably happen again.

This program is difficult. The classes are hard and there is a sense of camaraderie formed by making it through each and every day. The other clients here quickly become your brothers, your sisters, and your team. We are all in the same boat and all make the decision to show up each morning.


There are some mornings I wake up and wish I was at home where I could lay in bed and have no one hold me accountable. But each and every one of those mornings I drag myself out of bed and over to the studio. It breaks my heart when I get there and find out someone else didn't make that same choice. When someone makes up his or her mind that it’s too much, not worth it, and decides to go home.

When my friend left, she didn't even tell me. I guess it’s embarrassing to quit, but in the back of mind I wish I could have done something or encouraged her to stay. That Monday morning, she’d had a bad weigh in, and gained a pound. I can’t imagine how frustrating that would be, especially after all the work that we do here. At the same time, I wish I could have said something, anything, to comfort her in that time. It still haunts me weeks later. 

The second guy that left, really, really, really, needed to be here. If he had taken advantage of this program and performed to his full potential, his life would have been changed. The people that are hardest to see go, are the ones that need it the most.

I wish it wasn't true, but quitting is not a foreign idea to me. People used to tell me that I was really good at starting things, but awful at finishing them. I quit tennis, I quit lacrosse, I quit school at one point, and I’ve definitely quit weightloss.

Whether it’s quitting a weightloss program, a sports team, or something else in your life, I know there will be regret and second guessing.

If I can leave you with anything, it’s that it’s not too late. I’ve decided that this program is MY last resort, but it doesn't have to be yours. Find a program and stick to it. You WILL see results. You don't have to wait for the New Year or even a Monday. The beauty of changing your life, is you get to decide when, what, and how.


“It only takes one person to change your life. YOU.”


No comments:

Post a Comment