Monday, September 30, 2013

I Survived!

HEY EVERYBODY!!! I think this may be the most requested blog I've had this far, other than the "Why Women Should Lift Heavy Weights" post. I appreciate all yall asking about my first competition experience...

Hip Hip Hooray! I survived my very first CrossFit competition, and as promised I'm here to tell you ALL about it.


Someone asked me to describe it in one word and I'd have to pick EXPERIENCE. But good thing for me, I love to write so I can use a whole lot of words! I competed in Survival Fitness's Great Lakes Bay Region Throwdown with my 3 amazing teammates; Elaine, Justin, & Tom.



There was only one division composed of about 24 teams and we finished 17th of the 24. Even though I wish we had done a little better, I'm so proud of us going out there and giving it our best shot. And hey, we didn't finish last! (Which I was fully prepared for).

Here's how it all went down, my team met at CrossFit Glory (my home gym) at 11AM to get warmed up for the long day ahead. Then we carpooled over to Survival Fitness in Bay City, MI. We went through some stretches, signed in, and boy was I feeling intimidated. There were athletes everywhere that I only dreamed of being as good as (& still do!)

My team was put into the 2nd Heat which wasn't bad because it's way better than being the guinea pig but doesn't come with the anxiety of going last.

The first WOD was definitely the hardest... Check it out!

WOD #1
Karen XL
200 Wall Balls (As a team)
5 Burpees Every Minute on the Minute (Everyone)


Coming into the competition, this was what I was most worried about, but it was only half as bad as I expected. We completed 167 wall balls before the 10 minute time cap. Let's just say I was happy to get it out of the way first. 

WOD #2
Grace & Isabel's Big Day
30 Box Jumps (24")
30 Clean & Jerks (135/95)
30 Snatches (135/95)
30 Toes to Bar

As a team we had to complete the WOD with only one person working at a time. This was nice because it gave each of us a little break. At this point in time, cardio is definitely not my forte so I aimed to impress on the olympic lifts. The clean & jerks went great but unfortunately 95 pound snatches are still a little out of my league. I have no problem doing a few, but doing 10 was a challenge for me. It was tough, but we got through it!
The third WOD is where we really shined! Check it out...

WOD #3
Fran, Fran, Go Fran
63-45-27
Thrusters
Pull ups

Fran is one of those workouts that EVERYONE in the CrossFit community knows about. It's like one of the first things people ask you and basically judge your level off of this one time. Not saying I agree with this, but it definitely makes Fran seem a little more scary! Especially when you multiply it by three. It was one person working at a time and we had a 10 minute cap. Can I just say, I LOVE THRUSTERS. I have since the first day I did them and today was know different. 



So I'm fully aware that these pictures are less than becoming of me, but it's hard work, & thrusters with a smile would be a difficult task, even for me! Fran went awesome & we finished in 7:36 which I think is great. We moved up four spots just based on our performance in Fran. 

I couldn't have done it without my amazing teammates. Justin is a serious beast, & had my back on those snatches. Because forreal, he did over half of them! Not to mention he's hilarious and kept things fun!


Elaine is such a good friend and she worked hard!! It was awesome having her on my team, especially with all her positivity! 
Tom was seriously my saving grace during this competition. He always made me feel like I was doing a good job and pushed me to do even better. So happy he was on my team!


We had another awesome team from CrossFit Glory that went and they did wonderful finishing seventh! They are amazing... & my inspiration! 


All in all it was an amazing day & I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I couldn't have done it without my trainer Dan either. Definitely gave me a pep talk before EVERY workout, because he's the best there is! Also I couldn't have done it without Sean & Rich because they made me sign up (:

Check back for some posts that are in the works.... 
"5 Things I Learned From The Masters Competition"
"Why YOU Should do a CrossFit Competition"
"21 Day Superhero Challenge"

No comments:

Post a Comment