Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Outside the Box

Unless this is your first time visiting The Weigh (if it is, Welcome yall!), it is no secret that I have a burning passion for CrossFit. Regardless of the love I have for this intense pastime, there are days that I just don't want to go. Crazy! Right? I'm sure it's the same for you & things that you love. On these less than appealing days, (that usually involve burpees and running), I remind myself one thing, it's just one hour! One hour to work my butt off with a 100% satisfaction guarantee that I will feel better afterwards.


"It's just one hour"
I've told myself this at least 40 times since the beginning of this crazy journey, but guess what? I'm wrong. (I don't admit that much, so please take in the moment).

But it's true,  I'm so very wrong when it comes to this.

CrossFit goes way beyond the one hour we spend in the box a day. CrossFit is a lifestyle, a way of living, and almost anyone who participates has bought into this. CrossFit changes your mentality, your goals, and most of all the ability to do everyday things.

Yesterday I had one of many moments of gratitude as two fellow CFG members encouraed me to finish a WOD. Yesterday I went to the noon class for the first time and it was ALL CARDIO. My least favorite thing to do, but the thing I need the most.

It consisted of 3 rounds of a 400m run, 150 single unders, and 10 burpees. I'm beyond scaling movements so sometimes it still takes me longer meaning when the rest of the class finished the workout, I was only beginning my 3rd round. Pretty discouraging...

Nonetheless, I set off on my 3rd 400m run only to find Tracy and Kate trucking along behind me, making sure I didn't give up, and made it to the "finish line." Pretty ENCOURAGING...

How often is it at any other gym you have people that are willing to do another entire round, just to make you feel good. CrossFit is the kind of place where you are always encouraging the people around you, yelling at them to keep it up between every breath. Many of the same people that cheer me on in the box, are the same people that are there for me in my everyday life.

Photo credit: Tabata Times
CrossFit has not only shown me the world of teamwork, but also shined a light on focus. If I can do something as tough as Fran, I can pass an anatomy class, it just takes a different set of skills. The amount of cell phone free, full attention, diet planning, effort that is put into becoming fit equates to the discipline needed in school.



CrossFit isn't about the little time you spend in the gym, but the lesson you take away from it. It's about recognizing that just like the struggle Murph presents you, life will present you with obstacles just as tough. 


1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Lizzy! Keep up the great work. Your blog is a great read.

    ReplyDelete