Wednesday, April 22, 2015

You'll Never Walk Alone

Today was a great day. 

I came home & I wanted to blog, but for once, I couldn't think of anything to blog about. Nothing is going wrong, everything seems to be going right. Sure, there's been some hiccups here and there but for the most part, these positive changes have my life rocking! 



So I decided to answer some emails from my readers, you guys! Such an important part of my journey, but often neglected. I appreciate all of the positive feedback, encouraging words, and questions about my progress. 

Then, every once in a while, I get a deep, heartbreaking, cry for help. Some days, I have no idea what to say. Others, I have no idea where to start. After all, I'm still on this journey myself. 

However, after some reflections I realized I am not there enough for other people. I am surrounded by the greatest support system here, and I know how hard this process is.


Somewhere, I read a rule and copied it down into my journal. I don't know where it's from, but it stuck with me, and I think it's about time I put it to practice.

"If you meet someone who expresses their desire to make a positive change, it's your job to encourage them. It doesn't need to be much. You can just be there to listen, to be a cheerleader, to give tips and hints, or even to go for a walk/jog with them. If they choose to confide in you, you're now a part of their successes and failures. They took the first step, now show them they're not alone."

This hit home for me. 

There's an ongoing joke here between my friends and I that we don't bother talking to the "two-weekers." These are people coming through the program that are staying two weeks or less. Let's face it, in the 34 weeks that I am here, 2 weeks is pretty insignificant. 

Even though this isn't completely true, I think I could do a better job encouraging them. For them, 2 weeks may be all they could afford. 2 weeks could be a HUGE deal. This program may be kick starting their life! 

I reflect on my life...

In fifth grade I wanted to join a jump roping team. (I love to jump rope, even now.) I remember practicing after school one day and the gym teacher telling me I wouldn't be good enough to be on the team. She didn't offer to help me, she just left it at that. Imagine if she had offered to help me? Maybe that situation would have had a totally different outcome. 

I wonder what kind of body I would have if somewhere along the way, someone had offered to help me emotionally, instead of me turning to food. In high school, I remember crying out for help in so many different ways.



A couple of years ago, I reached out to the college pastor at my church. I was confused about my faith and needed someone to talk to. I remember waiting weeks for him to call, never hearing back. I remember feeling alone and not going to church for the longest time. 

These are three small instances that impacted my life greatly. I know every time I decided to make a change, it was only fueled by a small spark. At the beginning, it's easy to put that spark out. 

This is me promising you, that if you want to make a change, I'm here. I'm here to walk with you, talk with you, and lead you down your own road to change. I root for the underdog. If you want it, if you work for it, you'll get there. 

"Surround yourself with the dreamers and the doers, the believers and the thinkers, but most of all, surround yourself with those who see greatness within you, even when you don't see it yourself."




No comments:

Post a Comment