Friday, February 21, 2014

Five on Friday: Let's Talk About The Open...


First of all, can I just say how thankful I am for the overwhelming response to yesterday's blog post?? I wasn't sure how it'd be received but I should have never doubted you awesome folks, because seriously, I feel loved. I'm also glad how many people reached out saying they were thankful that they weren't alone, and I just wanna say, I'm here for each and every one of you!

Anywho, It's Friday, and I try to jump in on the "Five on Friday" party every once in awhile! 
This month, I can't count how many times I heard things like...

"E, are you signed up for the open?"
"HEY! When ya gonna write about the open?"

and lately... 

"Lizbeth, JUST WRITE ABOUT THE OPEN ALREADY."

Ok... ok... I got the message.
I'll be honest with you... I've been avoiding this topic, because seriously, I wasn't sure what the "right" answers were.

I've never done the CrossFit Open. I've read articles about why "the hopeless" shouldn't sign up for the open, but mostly, the overwhelming majority believes: everyone should sign up for the open.

So I did, awhile ago. Even though I can't do muscle ups or pull ups, I'm doing it!
And here's why...

ONE.
This is probably the BIGGEST reason. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to compete. Even though my role model/in box beast, Amy, can beat me in almost every metcon, I'm still gunning for her every day. We all love the thrill of a competition. No matter what our goals are, there is nothing better than an "in it to win it" attitude. Even if it just means beating yourself. So first and foremost, you can't win at all, if you don't even sign up.

TWO.
Community. Y'all get tired of me talking about this... but theres no such thing as talking about the CrossFit community too much. It's the coolest thing in the world. I have my family but then I have my CrossFit family and I can spot them anywhere. Sometimes it's by there shoes, sometimes it's the lean muscles, or their perfectly ripped hands. Hundreds of thousands of our CrossFit family will be competing in the same WODs, during the same week. All around the world, we'll be moving weight as one. (Some faster than others, but all equally important). 

THREE.
You'll surprise yourself. The times I do crazy awesome CrossFit things, are when it's all on the line. Maybe it's doing twice as many snatches unbroken as you thought you could or taking less breaks, or pushing just a little more... You'll be proud of yourself! 



FOUR.
I'm excited to see some awesome programming. I love what our coaches do, but obviously, like anywhere, it's a little bias in certain areas. This is a time where we step back and let the WODs be designed for us. Geeze, I get excited enough waiting for Justin to post the WODs every night, I can't imagine how excited I'll be to find out what these are!!! 

FIVE.
It will give me something to compare my next years scores to. I can see my progress. Next year, when I'm 100lbs lighter, can deadlift 400lbs, and a box jumping machine, I'll be able to say... "Holy crap, I've come SOOOOOO far."

BONUS.
It's fun.

I'm not going to be one of those people that tries to convince EVERYONE to sign up because I understand that different people, have different goals, but these are some of the reasons that I'm doing it. On that note, happy Friday!!





1 comment:

  1. 6. ( so what if I can't count;) so you can be an inspiration to others apprehensive about going or even signing up for CrossFit!

    ReplyDelete