Friday, November 1, 2013

Bittersweet!


Today is a bittersweet day. A great family that has owned CrossFit Glory for the last four years, is stepping down and officially retiring. While I am excited for his new chapter, they will surely be missed! 

On May 22nd I searched the internet for CrossFit boxes in my area. I found a few but based on word of mouth gave CrossFit Glory a call. As I dialed the phone sitting at the intersection of Saginaw and Eastman I imagined an insanely fit man sitting behind the desk with people grunting in the background. I really didn't know what to expect but I knew it would be intense... Someone answered the phone and I immediately hung up. "I'm not ready for this..." I thought to myself. I called again and hung up on the second ring. I decided to think about it, and consider calling again later... I am so thankful that I did. On the third try, I talked to Sean. I told him I would come by later that day to "check it out." So I did, with my money in hand. There was no turning back...

But this isn't a story about me; This is a story about the Smiths and how they helped me begin to change my life. Last week, someone asked me about the community of CrossFit and what it takes to be a part of it. What makes it so different from other group aerobics classes? My response was simple, it takes living up to your roles; your role as an athlete, as an encourager, as a student, and as a teacher. The Smiths' are a family that not only understand the importance of this community but embody the spirit of it.

Jim, former owner of CrossFit Glory, is an inspiration to many. At 60+ he is remarkably fit and never fails to continuously work to be better. He uses his coaching skills to motivate us, no matter the challenge. Jim's contribution to my progress, was always being their to remind me of how much potential I have. He single handedly helped me believe that I could go far in this sport, if I put in the work. From week 1, he's recognized my strengths and helped me improve my weaknesses. 

Although Mrs. Smith was not always around the gym, I remember one particular day that she helped me and I still think back on it often. After only one week of being in normal classes, I was still uncomfortable with having to scale movements. At this time, I could hardly do ANYTHING and I was so embarrassed of it! She always showed up to WODs to work hard and give it her all, even if the movements were modified. 

Most of all Sean has been the biggest influence on this journey thus far. Even though he picks on me like a big brother and we occasionally fought like siblings, he's the best coach I've ever had. From now back to my first on ramp session, he's been completely supportive; Giving insight about dieting, putting up with all of my questions (& y'all there were plenty!), teaching me all the lifts, finding crazy ways to modify pull-ups, and teaching me to swim! He's definitely leaving me with all the tools to succeed in CrossFit and weight loss. 

All in all, I’m so happy to know such wonderful people!

1 comment:

  1. Great tribute Elizabeth. You are definitely a talented editor! Keep up the high level of energy...no matter what might be raining on my parade, your smile always finds a way to let a little sunshine peak through!

    ReplyDelete