Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Barbells For Boobs

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't had time to write lately. There's been many nights I've sat down in my blogging chair, opened up my laptop ready to go, but the words just weren't coming to me...

I wanted to tell yall about my experience with Barbells For Boobs at CrossFit 734. Now that I have the pictures, I can finally do that! :) It was such a great time. But first let me tell you a little about the cause.




I'm sure you're all aware of October being Breast Cancer awareness month. I mean seriously, there are pink ribbons EVERYWHERE. I'd see can drives, promotions at work, opportunities to donate, etc. But honestly, I grew tired of the opportunities. Before you jump to conclusions about my apathy toward such a worthy cause, that is not the case at all. In fact, I was raised to help whenever you could. That's the Christian thing to do, right? But I was tired of it not getting any better and then in my senior year in high school, my mom got sick with breast cancer. Everything changed and cancer went from being a terrible thought, to a reality.

After joining CrossFit, I heard about Barbells for Boobs and it immediately grabbed my attention. It was something I really really wanted to do. For once, it was a fundraiser that meant something to me. It was an opportunity to WOD and fight for something more than a good time. Even though my box didn't participate, I was lucky that my friend Michele's did!



Barbells for Boobs is a wonderful organization that provides mammograms for people that can't afford it. That's the beauty of it because early detection is what saves lives.

It worked out for me to drive down there and participate, I was psyched! I never pass up an opportunity for a good WOD & meeting new people! The atmosphere was amazing. Everyone seemed to be in the mindset that today we were WODding for our loved ones, our friends, the survivors, the ones we lost, and the people who will one day fight against this horrible illness.

One of the people that I met was Rose. I was so touched by her commitment to this worthy cause as she had lost both her grandmother and aunt to breast cancer. You'll notice in the picture that she honored them by wearing their names.



I think everyone knew someone that had been diagnosed with breast cancer. In fact one in eight women will be diagnosed in their life time. It is safe to say breast cancer affects all of us.

The WOD we did was "Amazing Grace." Isn't that a wonderful name for such a worthy cause? "Grace" consists of 30 Clean & Jerks at 95 pounds. (135 for men). I struggled with the decision of whether I should go RX or not. I knew I could do it, but I didn't want to come in last around people I didn't really know! After arriving and meeting everyone, I knew it wouldn't have mattered either way. I ended up doing well and finishing in 3:38. It was really tough... and painful. But let me tell you, that little bit of pain was totally worth it for the difference we were making.




I am so honored to have gotten to workout with such an amazing group of CrossFitters. Thank you to Aaron, Wayne, and everyone else who made it such a memorable experience and successful day. Together CrossFit 734 raised $4,675 which will provide mammograms for 58 individuals.


Like I said, early detection is key in the fight against breast cancer. That is why we fought on this day to raise money. No one should have to fight that battle and no one should have to sit with their loved ones and tell them they aren't going to make it. At this point, there is nothing we can do except detect early and that is why I support funding mammograms for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment