Sunday, October 27, 2013

Every Accomplishment Begins with a Decision to Try


I am Lizzy Cargile’s dad and the guest writer of this week’s blog. I made the commitment to write a while ago when she told me that her goal was to complete 100 WODs (Oh, yeah, I know what a WOD is! I have learned the Crossfit lingo these last 5 months since Lizzy began). To be totally honest, when I made this commitment I had my doubts I would ever really be writing it. 100 WODS is a steep mountain to climb!

I have to admit when Lizzy came home one day and said that she wanted to try a gym called Crossfit, I really didn’t pay too much attention at first.  You have to know her, she has new ideas and plans almost every week.   With that said, something was a little different this time.  First, she just dove in - signing up for a membership without even trying it out.  After the first WOD, I was seriously questioning what she had gotten herself into.  She came home - half dead - when she told me what they had done ;  I almost died!  From the beginning, Lizzy went to Crossfit almost daily.  Soon she started blogging about the experience.  As hard as it was on her physically, I saw her resolve and commitment to keep going grow stronger. Many days she would come home and say she couldn’t do it anymore but the next day she would be right back at it again. Every night her mom and I would get a 30 minute download (that is how I learned the lingo) on what the workout was , how Sean or Doc were encouraging her, how Phil or Rich or Jim just wouldn’t let her quit. It soon became evident that for Lizzy, Crossfit  was more than just a  workout, it was becoming a second family.



Fast forward to today, Lizzy has now completed 100 WOD’s.  She is even more committed than ever to improving her health and her performance through Crossfit.  Her new challenge, is trying to compete in area competitions, this is really stretching her out of her comfort zone. There are still day’s where she comes home and say’s she will quit or can’t go on.  The difference now, is that I KNOW she will be right back there again tomorrow.   


No comments:

Post a Comment