Friday, October 18, 2013

A "Real" CrossFitter

The thoughts of writing this blog started Tuesday when I was wearing a shirt from 2L2Q CrossFit in Montgomery, AL.

On the front it said "Forging Elite Fitness" and the back had a pretty sweet logo. Someone in my math class noticed and began asking a million questions about CrossFit that started with, you really do CrossFit?? I tried not to be offended by their disbelief. After all, all they know is what they see on the television when the CrossFit Games are airing. I'd be pretty skeptical too! It's no secret that I appear to be the dead opposite of Lindsey Valenzuela or Camille. (Only in my dreams am I anywhere as physically fit as them).




These girls, Rich Froning, and all the other amazing athletes are not the definition of CrossFit though. The CrossFit Games are simply a place where we take the time to celebrate the best of the best. Where these beasts give it their all to battle it out for the title of "Fittest on Earth." But here's the truth, anyone with motivation, a willingness to learn, and want a new challenge can do CrossFit.

CrossFit is the amazing athletes that you see on TV, but it's also average people like you and me.
For a long time I counted myself out as a "CrossFitter", I was simply someone who tried to do CrossFit. I didn't even wear CrossFit shirts in public because I didn't want people to associate CrossFit with someone as unfit as me, I didn't want people to see my box as anything but a place with crazy fit athletes, because we do have some.

But CrossFit is also my friend who got a 65 pound push press today.
It's the 67 year old grandpa who is working on muscle-ups.
It's the pregnant lady doing CrossFit for the first time.
It's the mom & dad & son & daughter who come together.
It's the soldier that fought for our country.
It's the lady with one arm that can do more than a lot of us.
It's the fat kid that just wants to be able to look at themselves in the mirror.
It's the football star that hasn't seen a glory day since high school.
It's the college student that gained the freshman 15.
It's your dentist or your lawyer.
It's your high school principal.
It's anyone who believes in becoming physical fit to live the healthiest life possible.



So yes, I consider myself a real crossfitter and so are all these other people. It's ordinary people coming together to do extraordinary things.

3 comments: