Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Let The Fun Begin...



This morning was ridiculous. I had an emotional break down on the way there, crying that I wouldn’t be strong enough or fast enough or even be able to finish a work out. The workouts I’ve done with Doc are no longer than like 20 minutes, & now I’m expected to last an hour??

I arrived at CrossFit Glory at about 10 till, hoping to start early because I had to work at the ham store RIGHT after. (This was only adding to the stress of the whole workout thing, I cannot stand being short on time).

Well, I got there before the trainer. As I stood in the rain waiting, wiping the tears away from my eyes, half way hoping he forgot, I pulled myself together just in time for Sean to pull into the parking lot.

Sean is from what I understand, the head trainer. He’s young, very in shape, & seems to be extremely passionate about CrossFit. He reminded me a lot of my older brother, which certainly gave me an instant calming feeling. I heard about him from a few people, a family friend, my favorite past trainer, Patrick, & somehow my parents got word of his awesome training abilities.

CrossFit Glory is not your usual set up. There’s no treadmills, no machines, nowhere I can run & hide. It was a big open space, some medicine balls, a few rowing machines, some pull-up bars, lots of kettle bells, some racks, & some weights. It really looked like a weight lifters heaven, not somewhere you’d usually find me. It kinda looks like that one side of your normal franchise gym where all the hot guys workout Yeah, I don’t go there much.

Anyway, Sean explained to me that there is a different workout each day & everyone does the same thing except it’s scaled to your own abilities. This is scary & at this point, I hadn’t even started working out.
The first thing we did was a warm up We did the following, four times:
15 seconds of jumping jacks
15 seconds of squats (to my satisfaction, he said I have great form).
15 seconds of mountain climbers
15 seconds of jumping squats

That sounds easy, but I seriously thought I was going to puke. My quads were killing me, & jumping really isn’t my thing. (It makes my whole body jiggle, not a good look). I thought I was going to have a heart attack & we’re only 4 minutes in

Following the warm-up, Sean showed me how to do a proper deadlift, shoulder press, & shoulder press jerk. The deadlift was easy & I actually could lift quite a bit of weight. I have always been told I was naturally strong, in fact in high school it was propositioned that I go into weight lifting, but this isn’t the most attractive idea to a 17 year old girl Anyway, I was glad that I didn’t totally suck at the deadlift or the shoulder press. Now the jerk is a different story. It’s basically a shoulder press with a jump, & as I mentioned before, jumping just isn’t my thing.

& we’re not done yet Following this, Sean showed me how to use the rowing machine. I had never used one before even though I’d have many opportunities to. This is one of my dad’s go-to machines. Rowing wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t particularly easy either. I felt like my stomach got in the way of the bending motion but maybe I’m rowing the fat away… ;)

Lastly, we got to the one thing I’d dreaded the most, pull-ups. I had heard that pull-ups were plentiful in the life of a CrossFitter, they weren’t kidding! I was that kid that couldn’t even do one pull-up on the fitness exam in elementary school. The idea of even trying to get my chin over that bar is a f***ing nightmare to me. Sean assured me that they had ways to help me do a pull-up. He put a band on the bar that you put your foot in & it supports some of your weight, allowing you to pull up. After getting away from the fear that the band would snap, I stepped into it. And to much embarrassment, I still couldn’t pull up not even a tiny bit. So we moved to what is probably the last resort, reverse pull-ups. I’m convinced Sean made these up on the spot to make me feel better, but who cares, it worked. What I did was stand on a box, jumped so my chin was over the bar, & lowered myself as slow as possible, which wasn’t slow at all. After doing like 5 Sean said it was time to start my workout.

“Wait, what??? That wasn’t my workout? You gotta be kidding me!” I was already dead.. My legs were shot, my arms were shot, I wanted to cry... But I'm not the kind of person to give up so I pulled myself together.

My workout was as follows:
500m of rowing
40 squats
30 sit-ups
20 push-ups
10 pull-ups

I finished it in 11:40 but it seemed much longer. I was rocking through the rowing but Sean told me to slow down because I had further than I thought He was right, by the end of the rowing, my whole body was jello, but I finished! & that’s all that matters.

I have my next workout with Sean tomorrow Hopefully it will be just as hard because I feel great tonight. Not really, but I know this soreness is the result of hard work (: 

1 comment: